petak, 9. listopada 2026.

Have you ever craved the smell of tires?

Pregnancy is one wild ride.
͏ ‌     ­ ͏ ‌     ­ ͏ ‌     ­ ͏ ‌     ­ ͏ ‌     ­ ͏ ‌     ­ ͏ ‌     ­ ͏ ‌     ­ ͏ ‌     ­ ͏ ‌     ­ ͏ ‌     ­ ͏ ‌     ­ ͏ ‌     ­ ͏ ‌     ­ ͏ ‌     ­ ͏ ‌     ­ ͏ ‌     ­ ͏ ‌     ­ ͏ ‌     ­ ͏ ‌     ­ ͏ ‌     ­ ͏ ‌     ­ ͏ ‌     ­ ͏ ‌     ­ ͏ ‌     ­ ͏ ‌     ­ ͏ ‌     ­ ͏ ‌     ­ ͏ ‌     ­ ͏ ‌     ­ ͏ ‌     ­ ͏ ‌     ­ ͏ ‌     ­ ͏ ‌     ­ ͏ ‌     ­ ͏ ‌     ­ ͏ ‌     ­
 
Healthline
 
 
Wellness Wire
 
 
In a Nutshell
I’m fortunate to have a pretty boring medical history. Despite frequent trips to the tropics, I’ve never contracted a mosquito-borne illness. And though I’ve played multiple sports since I was a kid, I’ve never broken a bone. In my 35 years of life, I have visited the emergency room exactly one time.

But last year, my run of medical luck hit a snag when, deep in my second trimester of pregnancy, certain smells started making me feel… well, strange.

You know how dogs will sniff a blade of grass that another dog has peed on, and it causes them to quiver in obvious delight? The sensation was something akin to that. Certain aromas elicited a visceral, intoxicating reaction that made me want to seek them out over and over again.

It turned out that this craving for certain smells was an obscure symptom of a relatively common pregnancy complication. Below, I tell my full story.
 
 
 
 
Buckle up,
Ginger Wojcik
Senior Newsletter Editor
Ginger Wojcik  
 
 
 
Illustration for a story about smell cravings during pregnancy
What’s got us buzzing

It turns out that craving certain smells can be part of a medical diagnosis

The first time I noticed the feeling was at the Costco tire center. I stepped inside and was hit with a dizzying aroma emanating from the racks of rubber tires. The smell was thick in the air. I took a deep breath and shuddered with pleasure. Tires had always smelled vaguely interesting, but this was something completely new. I wanted to get as close to the smell as I could.

A few days later, it happened at Kinkos when I was printing out a return label. I sucked in the air, dense with the smell of printer ink, and felt overwhelmed with satisfaction.

Then, it was the lavender Dr. Bronner’s in our bathroom. I started washing my hands even when I didn’t need to. The flowery scent, generally pleasant, had become intoxicating to me.

I knew a heightened sense of smell was common during pregnancy, but this felt different. Usually, you hear about people being strongly put off by strong smells, not feeling obsessed with them. One day, I finally turned to Google. My instincts were correct.

It turns out that intense cravings for smells – aka desiderosmia – is a lesser-known symptom of pica. You may recognize pica as the condition that causes people to eat (or really want to eat) non-food items such as dirt, laundry detergent, and starchy substances. Pica is actually quite common in people who are pregnant people.

Pica during pregnancy is usually caused by iron deficiency, which is extremely common as the pregnant body has an increased demand for iron. Why this causes people to want to eat and smell non-food items isn’t entirely clear, but it may have to do with the body's attempt to obtain nutrients it lacks.

Lo and behold, after telling my midwives about my symptoms, we did an iron panel and discovered that my ferritin levels – which measure the amount of stored iron in the body – had plummeted since the beginning of my pregnancy. I was quickly put on an iron supplement regimen, and my ferritin returned to a healthy level by the time I delivered my baby. (My olfactory senses are back to normal as well, thankfully.)

There is so much about being pregnant and having a baby that is hard to put into words. It really is like living in an alternate reality. My relationship to the world has been forever changed by becoming a mother — and it’s safe to say that I will never look at my hand soap or the tires on my car the same way again.
Read more
 
 
 
Healthy Pick
Iron Age
 
 
 
Thorne Iron Bisglycinate Capsules
Thorne Iron Bisglycinate Capsules
As much as 20% of the global population is deficient in iron. If your care team has diagnosed you with low iron, they may recommend supplementation. This option from Thorne contains iron bisglycinate, which is generally easier for the body to absorb than other iron forms.
SHOP NOW
Every product we recommend has gone through either Healthline’s or Optum Now’s vetting processes. If you buy through links on this page, we may receive a small commission or other tangible benefit. Healthline has sole editorial control over this newsletter. Potential uses for the products listed here are not health claims made by the manufacturers. Healthline and Optum Now are owned by RVO Health.
 
 
 
 
 
health stories you need

What we’re reading next

🤍 End Stage Metastatic Breast Cancer Symptoms
💡 15 Foods That Boost the Immune System: Citrus, Bell Peppers & More
🚿 15 Tips If Your Eczema Worsens After Showering or Bathing
🥬 A Guide to Healthy Low Carb Eating with Diabetes
 
 
 
 
 
Until next time,
healthline
Take care of yourself, and we’ll see
you again soon!
 
 
Telegram
This edition was powered by
my beautiful baby boy.
 
 
 
fb   tiktok   X   youtube   insta

If you believe this has been sent to you in error, please safely unsubscribe.

Nema komentara:

Objavi komentar

🗞️ Good News: You will now receive the Goodnewsletter every day!

Thanks for switching to daily good news! You can expect the Goodnewsletter to arrive in your inbox every day, Monday through Friday.  ͏ ͏...